Brake Pads for Rod Brakes


I bought these from a supplier in India.  These brake pads are for a bicycle that use a rod-stirrup mechanism to brake by pulling up on the underside of the rim. These are the brakes found on some Vintage English Roadsters and the style of bicycle that is common in India and China (e.g. Flying Pigeon). Sold as a pair.

I'll let Sheldon Brown do the long explanation:

Rod Brake Roller-lever brake. Most rod brakes use a "stirrup" which holds brake shoes that pull against the inner circumference of the rim. These are usually used with Westwood or Raleigh pattern rims, which have a ridge where the spokes attach, so there is no risk of snagging a spoke nipple with the brake shoes.